5 Things You Need To Know Today—Friday, June 8
Polymnia's spring pops concert; jazz concert at Corithian Hall; dances for MVMMS students.
1) You know the summer's coming soon: A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1 p.m. Partly sunny, with a high near 75. Calm wind becoming southeast between 4 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Tonight, a chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2 a.m., then a slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. West wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) Hanging around Broadway and I think I saw your face: Devin McCall (pictured), Melrose High School senior and winner of Polymnia’s “Spotlight on High School Talent” contest, will sing with the choral group at its Spring Pops Concert tomorrow at 7:30 p.m. at Memorial Hall. Under the baton of Music Director Murray Kidd, Polymnia will present “A Salute to Broadway.” Music will include a wide variety of songs from composers such as Rogers and Hammerstein, Stephen Sondheim, and “Fats” Waller.
3) Jazzer, drop your axe, it's jazz police: Joe Mulholland, a long-time Melrose resident, will be kicking off his fourth album, "Unspoken," at Corinthian Hall tonight from 8-10 p.m. The quartet on the CD and at the concert includes Joe Mulholland, piano; Bob Nieske, bass; Bob Tamagni, drums and Allan Chase, saxophone. Tickets can be purchased at the door: $20 for admission plus CD, $10 for admission only.
4) Come with me to the dance floor: MVMMS 8th graders have a semi-formal dance tonight at 7 p.m., while 6th and 7th graders are invited to a dance at Melrose Highlands Cogregational Church.
5) By old Friday evening we're free: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Friday on Melrose Patch:
- House Hunt: Our roundup of open houses for the upcoming weekend runs at 8 a.m. Realtors, you can add a photo or video of an open house you're hosting to the gallery!