Today is Monday, Jan. 9—519 years ago today, Columbus mistook manatees for mermaids (and this might be my favorite "This Day in History" tidbit ever) and described them as "not half as beautiful as they are painted"—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
2) Meet the new boss—same as the old boss: We've got a Who theme going on this morning. The public's invited to the City of Melrose Inaugural Exercises tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Memorial Hall. Mayor Rob Dolan, the Melrose Board of Aldermen, and the Melrose School Committee will take their oaths of office for the new term. Dolan will also deliver his inaugural address and Blue of a Kind will provide a musical interlude. Light refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
3) I will. Have. ORDER: The Board of Aldermen (6:30 p.m.), Melrose Historical Commission (7 p.m.) and Melrose Park Commission (7 p.m.) all have meetings scheduled tonight.
4) To the EEC! OK, I'm stretching it there. The Franklin Early Childhood Center PTO meets tonight at 7 p.m. (and the second Monday of every month at 7).
5) Fix me now: As we haven't run 5 Things the previous two Mondays due to the holidays, here's our final post-New Year's schedule shakeup. Here's our lineup of weekly columns that run each Monday on Melrose Patch:
- NEW FORMAT—Frugal Family: Our weekly deals column has run its course, but we're going to try out a different take on the same idea. Each Monday, we'll ask you to tell us deals you've spotted in Melrose stores (or nearby). Now everyone can share the deals they've seen and check back later in the week before heading out shopping.
- CANCELED—Viewfinder: Our weekly photo gallery has ended. But remember—you can upload your own photos to Melrose Patch! If you organized an event held over the weekend, simply post those photos as an Announcement for all to see.
- MOVED—Patch Picks Question: We each Monday at noon, we'll ask for your picks and suggestions on varying topics for a column that will run on Thursday.
- Where Is It in Melrose? Our weekly mystery photo runs every Monday at 3 p.m. and asks you to guess where the photo was taken in Melrose. Guess correctly and you can win a prize.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!