Today is Thursday, Dec. 22—55 years ago today, Colo became the first-ever gorilla born in captivity—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
1) When the ice clouds roll over the day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 53. West wind between 8 and 14 mph. Tonight, showers likely, mainly after 4 a.m. Increasing clouds, with a low around 35. North wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) Library pictures of the quickening canoe: All high school-age teens are invited to attend the monthly meetings of the MPL's Teen Advisory Group. The group meets today at 5:30 p.m.—bring your ideas and suggestions on programs you would like to see at the library.
4) Got the flavor: Here are today's specials around Melrose:
- Busy Bee Bakery: Soup—Corn Chowder; Lunch—Buffalo Chicken Wrap; Dinner—None [Note: menu subject to change.]
- Do you own a Melrose eatery? E-mail your daily specials to email@example.com by 6 p.m. and we'll include them in next morning's 5 Things You Need to Know Today.
5) The Thursday days and the humerus bones: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Thursday on Melrose Patch:
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose and nearby posts at 11 a.m.
- Sold: Find out if you have new neighbors. Our roundup of five home sales in Melrose this past week posts at noon—Realtors, add your own recent sales to our gallery!
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Thursday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. Check back at 1:30 p.m. for this week's question. We'll compile the answers into an article next week.
- Patch Picks: Each week, we ask you for your top picks in a wide variety of categories. Check back at 3 p.m. for your answers.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!