5 Things You Need To Know Today—Thursday, May 24
Dog park ordinances before aldermen tonight; where's the best place in Melrose to celebrate graduation?
1) It's warm and humid on Swanston Street: A chance of showers, mainly after 3 p.m. Areas of fog before 10 a.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 73. Southeast wind between 5 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Tonight, a chance of showers, mainly after 1 a.m. Areas of fog after 11 p.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 55. South wind between 6 and 8 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) Just the dog in me: Three aldermen's committees meet tonight starting at 7:30 p.m., including the Appropriations Committee, which will be taking up amendments to the city ordinances to allow for the operation of the off-leash dog park at The Knoll.
3) Can I graduate? Last day to vote in our contest for the best place to hold a graduation celebration in Melrose.
4) Strum it loud just to rattle his cage: Acoustic open mic night at Ab Fab, hosted by Mike Walsh, returns tonight from 7:30-11 p.m. Walsh opens up with a 30-45 minute set starting at 7:30, followed by the open mic, when anyone can play 3-4 songs. Sign-ups start at 7 p.m.
- Sold: Find out if you have new neighbors. Our roundup of five home sales in Melrose this past week posts at noon—Realtors, add your own recent sales to our gallery!
- Whiz Kids of the Week: Each week, we highlight a Melrose kid (or kids) who has been nominated for some recognition.