Today is Tuesday, Jan. 3—22 years ago today, Panama's General Manuel Antonio Noriega, after holing up for 10 days at the Vatican embassy in Panama City, surrendered to U.S. military troops to face charges of drug trafficking—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
1) In the cold cold night: Sunny today, with a high near 29. Northwest wind between 9 and 14 mph. Tonight, clear with a low around 11. Wind chill values as low as zero. Northwest wind between 10 and 16 mph. (Forecast from National Weather Service.)
2) To my big brother George—the richest man in town. Should auld acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to mind ... Now that I've returned from the three-day holiday weekend—Happy New Year everybody! Welcome to 2012! (I'm a big New Year's guy. Love it. Everybody gets to celebrate still being here.) Of course, the turning of the calendar means more changes afoot here at Melrose Patch. We're constantly experimenting to try and make life ridiculously easy for Melrose residents, which means both separating the wheat from the chaff and trying new ventures we've never thought of until now.
I can kind of tell what people like about Melrose Patch and what people don't, but I'm not a mind reader. So while we make some changes this month, please, please, please: email me your ideas and thoughts at firstname.lastname@example.org
4) One's from the party of Roosevelt, the other's from the party of Roosevelt: The Roosevelt School Site Council meets today at 3:45 p.m.
5) Wave goodbye, wish me well: I told you changes were afoot. Here's our lineup of weekly features that run each Tuesday on Melrose Patch:
- CANCELED—Freecycle Tuesdays: Wave goodbye to this column, which is now discontinued, but if you're still interested in free stuff, check out the Melrose Freecycle group and join!
- Grab and Go Kids Planner: Every Tuesday at 3 p.m., we bring you five great kid- and family-friendly events taking place in the area over the next week.
- Police Log: I usually get the log on Mondays from the Melrose Police Department and bring you a recap on Tuesdays. Due to the holiday weekend, the police log will be coming one day later.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!