5 Things You Need To Know Today—Wednesday, July 18
Crafty Wednesdays at the library; oil painting class at the Milano Center; Board of Health meets.
1) And then again I dissolve it in rain: Scattered showers today, mainly after 2 p.m. Partly sunny, with a high near 93. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. Tonight, scattered showers, mainly before 2 a.m. The rain could be heavy at times. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. East wind around 6 mph becoming light and variable. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) It's a crafty scene: Each Wednesday through Aug. 8, the Melrose Public Library is hosting "Crafty Wednesdays" from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. on a drop-in basis. Craft highlights include noodle art, paper sculptures and picture frame art.
3) When I paint my masterpiece: Today and next Wednesday, the Milano Senior Center is offering a Beginner to Intermediate Oil Painting class from 6-9 p.m. for $50. The class will be dedicated to painting still-lifes in the "alla prima method" (creating a painting in one session). Each week will focus on different aspects of painting. A variety of material, tools, and techniques will be introduced weekly though short demos giving the students plenty of time to paint. Although still-life set ups will be available, students are welcome to bring personal objects to paint. Materials included. Personal easels are welcome. If you can't make this session, another session will be held on Aug. 15 and 22.
4) On with the show good health to you: The Melrose Board of Health meets tonight at 8 p.m.
5) Is Thumbalina size 10 on a Wednesday: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Wednesday on Melrose Patch:
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Wednesday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. We'll compile the answers into an article next Tuesday.
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose now runs on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. (Giving you more time in advance of Thursday night events.)
Use Melrose Patch to connect with your neighbors:
- Share your news with the rest of the community. Click here to add an announcement.
- Add your events to our events calendar.
- Sign up for our daily newsletter with the latest headlines delivered to your inbox every morning.
Share your thoughts on your community in a blog—click 'Post on Patch' and start blogging.