Five Great Sledding Destinations in the Melrose Area
With all the fresh snowfall from the first blizzard of the year, now is the time to take advantage of these sledding hot spots.
With more than a foot of snow on the ground and schools closed once again, it's the perfect time to head out to sled or snow tube.
Several locations in the Melrose area are perfect winter wonderlands. However, you'll need to bring your own sledding equipment to these five popular sledding destinations:
- Mount Hood Golf Course, 100 Slayton Road, Melrose: Mount Hood is routinely voted one of the best sledding areas in Massachusetts.
- Fellsmere Pond, Off Fellsway East, Malden: Accessible on the Fellsway East, this area near Fellsmere Park is an old favorite with people from the area for sledding and snow tubing.
- Bear Hill Golf Course, 2 North St., Stoneham: Bear Hill, which is a nine-hole golf course during the warm weather months, is a great local sledding option during the winter.
- Sheepfold Area of Middlesex Falls, Off Route 28 in Stoneham: Sheepfold is best known as a local dog-friendly park but its fields and hills offer some great terrain to sled on.
- Stoneham Oaks Golf Course, 101 Montvale Ave., Stoneham: Stoneham Oaks is a hilly nine-hole par three golf course offering some challenging sledding options. The area is wooded, so caution should be exercised.