Mexican cuisine has become as much a staple of American culture as apple pie. And like America, Mexico's cuisine is largely influenced by the mismash of indigenous cultures and the arrival of Europeans.
For this week's Patch Picks, we asked: What's your favorite Mexican restaurant nearby? Here's what you said:
- Mexico Lindo, 449 Main St., Melrose: No surprise here—Mexico Lindo shows up on favorite Melrose restaurant lists even when Mexican cuisine isn't the theme. Several people cited Mexico Lindo's mole dishes specifically, and Beth added, "I have a love/hate relationship with the chips and salsa there—love how tasty and fresh they are, hate that I've usually eaten the whole thing and then some before dinner arrives. :)"
- Border Cafe, 817 Broadway (Route 1), Saugus: Jillian nominated this popular Tex-Mex restaurant that moved in recent years to a new, bigger space up Route 1.
- Angela's Cafe, 131 Lexington St., East Boston: Native Los Angeleno Chris passed on Mexico Lindo and instead offered this East Boston restaurant that has "the best Mexican I have had in the Boston area."
- Three Amigos, 125 Main St. #4, Stoneham: Chris also suggested this tucked away Stoneham restaurant "for lunch with my husband and kids."
- The Fat Cactus, 215 Broadway (Route 1), Lynnfield: VCVC Cupcakes suggested this Route 1 Tex-Mex joint. "No lines like Border Cafe (who I also like) Decent food. And a HUGE range of tequila."
- Anna's Taqueria, 236 Elm St., Somerville: The guys over at Erik's Barbershop nominated this extremely popular counter service restaurant.
- Ixtapa, 347 Main St., Woburn: Lots of readers from north of Melrose picked this Woburn restaurant. John said, "I can confirm that Ixtapa in Woburn and Three Amigos in Stoneham have the most 'authentic' border-Mexican cuisine around."