It's a Boston area staple—the hot roast beef sandwich. A certain place down Revere Beach claims to have invented our regional version of the roast beef sandwich, and the area is dotted with roast beef joints (that often specialize in two items: roast beef sandwiches, and fried seafood platters).
For this week's Patch Picks, we asked: Where's the best roast beef sandwich in Melrose? Here's what you told us:
- Billy's Famous Roast Beef & Seafood, 1291 Main St., Wakefield: Jeff started off the voting with a bold statement: "Billy's Roast Beef. Any way they make it, with anything on it. Enough said? Pretty much a pointless poll ;)" Now that is a fan. Just over the Melrose-Wakefield line, Billy's got a bunch of votes on our callout article and on our Facebook Page.
- Liberty Bell Roast Beef & Seafood, 886 Main St., Melrose: Lots of love for this Melrose institution in votes cast on our Facebook Page. Michael added, "The sauce and rolls are perfect."
- Kelly's Roast Beef, Route 1 South at Lynn Fells Parkway, Saugus / 410 Revere Beach Blvd., Revere: You knew we wouldn't have this question without the obligatory nod to the supposed inventors of the roast beef sandwich we've all come to love. While Rick cast his first vote for Billy's, he added, "I also love Kelly's but it's a different cut of beef than most others, and for some reason, better at Revere beach (I grew up in Revere) as compared to Route 1, Saugus."
- Anthony's Italian Specialties, 408 Main St., Stoneham: One reader wrote, "Anthony's in the square has the best roast beef sandwiches—get one on a braided roll and you'll have enough for lunch and dinner." Another reader said, "Anthony's hands down!"
- Royal Roast Beef & Seafood II, 475 Main St., Stoneham: A reader wrote, "If talking strickly roast beef I would have to go with Royal's Roast Beef on Main Street (because it's) cooked to perfection, sliced thin and is always tender." Another reader added, "Royal's is the best!"