1) It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen: Sunny, with a high near 61. North wind around 9 mph. Tonight, a chance of showers, mainly after 3 a.m. Increasing clouds, with a low around 44. South wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) The so-called real world of men and money and power hums merrily along: The aldermen's Appropriations Committee meets tonight at 7:30 p.m. as the aldermen continue going through next year's budget proposal. Among the budgets before the committee tonight are the various Public Works budgets and amendments to the city ordinances relating to the director of Public Works and city engineer positions.
3) The falcon cannot hear the falconer: The Friends of the Fells are hosting a . Meet at Botume House, 4 Woodland Road for a bird observation walk to Quarter Mile Pond and Wright’s Pond.
4) Every atom of my blood, form’d from this soil, this air: The American Red Cross is holding a
5) Late April and you are three: Here's our lineup of weekly columns that run each Monday on Melrose Patch:
- Best of Patch Readers' Choice: We'll focus on a different area of business each week, as we're looking to help Melrosians get the best service, deals and meals in Melrose only. Vote in our polls, leave comments why you enjoy a particular establishment or business, while also posting a review of a local business. The winner is decided upon by the Patch editor, based on poll results and reviews in our Places directory.
- You Ask, Patch Answers: Each Monday, we'll take a question submitted by a reader and try to get the answers you're looking for.
- ? Our weekly mystery photo runs every Monday at 3 p.m. and asks you to guess where the photo was taken in Melrose. Guess correctly and you can win a prize.