1) Heatwave! This is the island in the sun: Areas of fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 104. (!!) West wind between 7 and 11 mph. Tonight, mostly clear, with a low around 73. West wind between 6 and 10 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) You remember why it got dark and why it is getting light again: Join Boot Boutwell and the Friends of the Fells , the day when the midday sun reaches it’s highest point in the sky. The summer solstice, which occurs this year at 7:09 p.m. on June 20, marks the longest day (and shortest night) of the year. The Friends of the Fells will celebrate the season with solstice history and lore, poetry, songs, a solstice story and a short ceremony to welcome in the solstice. There will also be a walk in the woods to enjoy the beauty of nature on the first day of summer and, weather permitting, to watch the sun set. The program will end with refreshments. NOTE: Pre-registration required. Call Boot Boutwell: 781-729-4712.
3) Confidence is a preference for the habitual voyeur of what is known as (parklife): The Park Commission is scheduled to meet again today at 8 a.m.—a meeting rescheduled from Monday—with requests for proposals for Mount Hood the sole item on the agenda.
4) Angels and sailors: The Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Building Board of Trustees meet this morning at 8:15 a.m. On the agenda is the election of a new board chairman.
5) Lift your head up, Wednesday: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Wednesday on Melrose Patch:
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Wednesday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. We'll compile the answers into an article next Tuesday.
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose now runs on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. (Giving you more time in advance of Thursday night events.)