There has been an ongoing conversation on Melrose Patch about crosswalks and stop signs. Readers have discussed where they're regularly ignored, and most recently where they're most needed. Here's a recap of the comments from a question we posed last week: "Where should a crosswalk be added in Melrose?"
Readers in particular were concerned with crossing along Franklin Street, as you'll see.
- Erin D said Across Lynn Fells at Lincoln/Nelson.
- Lory Hough, who inspired the question, said, "Somewhere on Franklin Street!" or "at the corner of Franklin and Warren (where there is a playground) or the corner of Franklin and Walton Park."
- Ivy Sutton said "There has been a need of a cross walk on Franklin for a long time."
- However, Josh Chace disagreed, saying, "I don't feel that Franklin St should have any crosswalks except for the ones that are there now."
- Steve Meuse agreed with Lory that either Warren or Walton would be ideal locations from first glance."
- Betsey Benagh said she'd "really like to see one at Ashland Street, as that's the logical place for them to cross. Honestly, get rid of the one in front of Dunton Park. It's pretty useless."
- Danielle Geer suggested "Somewhere on Lebanon between Sylvan and Grove Streets. Lots of kids and commuters use Lebanon as a way to the bus and T."
- Sandi said, "Lebanon and Park, Park has a bus stop and Park leads to Hoover."
- And finally, Lauren recommended "Upham Street across to Bellvue..