Wow. You folks really love your coffee.
Not since we asked for your Patch Picks of the have we had an outpouring of responses for our weekly Patch Picks column.
This week we asked: While two local bakeries—, 1 Hurd St., and , 462 Main St.—both were mentioned briefly, two coffeehouses dominated the discussion:
, 421 Main St., and , 132 West Emerson St.
Of course, even though we were looking for the best coffee, other considerations came into play as well, as Melrosians spoke about the pastries and baked goods available at each place.
CTM and The Boho, as they're affectionately known by their fans, sparked such an overwhelming response to this week's Patch Picks that we're going to veer from our usual format of a simple list.
Instead, we'll put these two local coffeehouses side by side and pick out some of the best comments left for each (and at the end, some of the laurels thrown out for both). .Coffee Tea and Me
- "I've had coffee at Coffee, Tea & Me only three times so far, but they've been spectacular every time, so they get my vote."
- "Coffee, Tea and Me is the best new business in Melrose. The customer service is efficient, friendly and the atmosphere is one of real community. It's a place to have good conversations and visit with people. The drinks and treats are delicious."
- "As a gluten free person, I have to give the nod to Coffee, Tea and Me. While Bohemian has had GF items at times, CTM always has GF options available."
- "Coffee Tea and Me by a landslide. I can only drink decaf and very much missed my caffeinated coffee until tasting their decaf. You wouldn't even know it was missing the buzz!"
- "My choice is Coffee Tea & Me. I love their teas and their baked goods are out of this world! It's a quaint, homey place. Wish I lived closer to go all the time."
- "Coffee Tea & Me by far - best coffee (iced too)! Staff is the best, muffins are better than Gingerbread House and the empanadas are the bomb! Easy parking in the am too!"
- "Bohemian Coffeehouse has the BEST baked goods and lattes and coffee."
- "Love, love, love the Bohemian! And I'm a coffee snob! Also love it for the muffins + the atmosphere!"
- I drive from Malden at least once a week (and did every day during the holiday break) to go ot the Bohemian!"
- "I love that there are so many great options in Melrose now. But for me, It's Bohemian. I start every day there. I love the people, the muffins are incredible (have you ever heard of an Apple bacon cheddar muffin) and Hillary makes the best egg sandwich on bagel I ever had. It's the schmear of cream cheese that pulls it all together. Oh yeah, great coffee too! And they know the difference between a latte and cappuccino."
- "I love the Bohemian!! Not only does it have a great environment and friendly staff, but also delicious coffee and muffins. The owner went out of her way to make my "breakfast" day at work exceptional; she mixed vegan scones with an assortment of muffins that everyone on my team was able to enjoy. I would never have received that sort of treatment at most coffeeshops nowadays...Two thumbs way up for the BoHo!"
- "Hilary is a great steward, and staff are funny. Their blade of musical knowledge is tempered only by their occasional immersions in the waters of general philosophy."
- "I think it depends on what you're going for - I like the flavored drinks (and pastries!) at Bohemian, and the straight-up coffee (and empanadas) at Coffee, Tea, & Me. also, depends on how far i'm willing to walk that day. :)"
- "I agree it depends on what you're looking for. Bohemian's Iced Dark Chocolate Mocha is the best mocha I've ever had. Coffee, Tea and Me is my stop for an Iced Viennese and there are two bakeries with excellent coffee, Busy Bee and D'Amici's. It's great to have so many choices in Melrose."
- "We are so lucky in Melrose to have something for everyone!! Both places have amazing coffee and food, with great owners and staff who love their customers and their city...that shines through in their products and the way they treat their customers! Can't go wrong at either one!!"