As 2011 wraps up, Melrose Patch is counting down the most viewed articles on the site this year. Today, we bring you the top 10 most viewed articles on Melrose Patch in 2011.
10) : JULY 21—A Melrose man accused of throwing his seven-week old child at the baby's mother—where it subsequently landed face-first onto concrete —was arraigned in Malden District Court.
9) : OCT. 7—A customer fought an alleged knife-wielding robber who was holding employees of a Main Street insurance company against their will, Melrose Police said.
8) : AUG. 25—While it was still too early to predict how intense the wind might be, the forecast seemed fairly certain of one fact: Hurricane Irene was headed to New England and—at the very least—bringing a lot of rain with it. "We’re manning almost as if it’s a snow emergency," Mayor Rob Dolan said. "There's something for everyone to do between now and Sunday night."
7) : SEPT. 29—A 38-year-old Melrose man faces a conspiracy to distribute cocaine charge, and is one of 10 people indicted in connection with allegedly trafficking, possessing and distributing narcotics in Massachusetts, Attorney General Martha Coakley’s Office announced.
6) : NOV. 2—Former Melrose Mayor James "Jim" Milano, a beloved and respected icon of the city, died weeks after turning 102 years old.
5) : JUNE 21—A car driven by an elderly Everett man crashed through the wall of the Rite Aid in Melrose, injuring three pharmacy employees.
4) : OCT. 12—A 76-year-old Bow Street man died when the back porch he was working on collapsed, pinning him underneath.
3) : APRIL 5—A Melrose Middle School student and a Melrose High School student both overdosed in two separate incidents on a cold medicine that has a history of abuse for its hallucinogenic properties, city officials announced.
2) : JULY 18—A 21-year-old Melrose man died from a reported drug overdose during a week in which Melrose Police responded to three reported overdoses.
1) : APRIL 19—Overall times for Melrose runners who finished in the top 1,000 runners in the 2011 Boston Marathon.