Location: Acera School 645 Main St. Melrose MA, Annex Building behind the Methodist Church. Please park in the municipal lot behind the Melrose Post Office.
- Prospective students and families; others interested in the school
What to expect:
- School co-directors will be on hand to welcome you, give tours, answer questions and give mini-presentations
- All classrooms will be open
- All main classroom teachers will be on hand to meet, answer questions and let you get a feel for Acera's unique spirit, curriculum and culture.
- Activities for prospective students at various grade levels will be available to entertain, as well as get a "feel" for Acera
At Acera, we believe that every child is a gift in this world and that every child deserves the chance to pursue their best talents. Students eligible for "gifted education" are not better -- they are just different. Conventional educational programs put too low of a ceiling on their potential, and stifle their inquiry, creativity, and desire for deep, interconnected learning. As many as 40% of gifted students become under performers in school. Many states consider "gifted education" to be a type of special education. Unfortunately, in Massachusetts, we are tied for last in the nation on serving the needs of these high capacity students. Acera aims to increase awareness about the profiles and needs of gifted students and inspire broad adoption of strategies which work -- so that students can become the best version of themselves.
We hope to be a positive influence on general education reform, especially in areas of STEM, creativity, and leadership. The innovative educational model we employ can ultimately help all students. We are growing a small, model school which serves students in Greater Boston. We hope to leverage this model more broadly -- through robust teacher training and through launch of Acera Innovation Schools in public school districts. We hope to be a positive influence as funding and public school district adoption allows us to increase our outreach.
Today our focus is on supporting each family, whether or not they are interested in our private school program -- to understand and meet the needs of their high ability children.