Rabbit rabbit. Today is Thursday, Dec. 1—21 years ago today, workers opened a car-sized hole 132 feet below the English Channel, linking Great Britain with the European mainland for the first time in more than 8,000 years—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
1) Cloudless everyday you fall upon my waking eyes: Sunny with a high near 49. North wind between 8 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Tonight, mostly clear with a low around 30. North wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) Strum it loud just to rattle his cage: Acoustic open mic night at Ab Fab, hosted by Mike Walsh, . Walsh opens up with a 30-45 minute set starting at 7:30, followed by the open mic, when anyone can play 3-4 songs. Sign-ups start at 7 p.m.
3) Actually we've got a nice little Saturday planned. We're going to Home Depot to pick out some wallpaper, then maybe we'll hit Bed Bath and Beyond... I don't know! I don't know if we'll have enough time! It's the holiday season and Melrose Patch's calendar is quickly filling up with great events in Melrose and nearby, all posted by you—the people who use and read Melrose Patch. Check out everything that's happening and post your own event by clicking the "Add an Event" button on the right side of Event pages, or the "Post Your Own Event" button on our homepage underneath the calendar listings. If you need any help, shoot an email to our community producer Amanda Kersey at firstname.lastname@example.org—she'll be glad to help you learn to post.
4) Eats meat—a release: Deep cut. Here are today's specials around Melrose:
- : Soup—Cream of Broccoli; Lunch—Classic Reuben. [Note: menu subject to change.] Busy Bee Bakery will no longer be offering daily dinner specials. The bakery will have a weekly dinner special each Thursday, and have its Chicken Pot Pie, Sheppard’s Pie and Macaroni & Cheese available every day of the week.
- Do you own a Melrose eatery? E-mail your daily specials to email@example.com by 6 p.m. and we'll include them in next morning's .
5) Thursday at the Blue Note: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Thursday on Melrose Patch:
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose and nearby posts at 11 a.m.
- : Find out if you have new neighbors. Our roundup of five home sales in Melrose this past week posts at noon—Realtors, add your own recent sales to our gallery!
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Thursday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. Check back at 1:30 p.m. for this week's question. We'll compile the answers into an article next week.
- : Each week, we ask you for your top picks in a wide variety of categories. Check back at 3 p.m. for your answers.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!