Today is Thursday, Nov. 17—453 years ago today, the Elizabethan Age began in England—and here are Melrose's five fast facts for the day:
1) Clouds and storms will, in time, pass away: A slight chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 51. Northwest wind between 8 and 11 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Tonight, mostly clear with a low around 34. West wind between 13 and 16 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) A turkey turkey dee and a turkey turkey do: The Milano Senior Center will host a , followed by Magician Stephen Brenner, who will bring a variety of surprises and a cast of furry characters. Reservations needed—call the Center's receptionist at (781) 662-6886.
3) A poet!—He hath put his heart to school: St. Mary's School will host an , when parents can tour the school, visit classrooms, meet teachers and learn about the school's programs and offerings.
4) Here comes the brand new flavor: Here are today's specials around Melrose:
- : Soup—Black Bean; Lunch—Grilled Chicken Quesadilla; Dinner—Ancho Pulled Pork w/ Refried Beans & Rice ($9.99) [Note: menu subject to change.]
- Do you own a Melrose eatery? E-mail your daily specials to firstname.lastname@example.org by 6 p.m. and we'll include them in next morning's .
5) This ghost lay in a ditch on Thursday: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Thursday on Melrose Patch:
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose and nearby posts at 11 a.m.
- : Find out if you have new neighbors. Our roundup of five home sales in Melrose this past week posts at noon—Realtors, add your own recent sales to our gallery!
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Thursday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. Check back at 1:30 p.m. for this week's question. We'll compile the answers into an article next week.
- : Each week, we ask you for your top picks in a wide variety of categories. Check back at 3 p.m. for your answers.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!