Get Melrose Patch each morning in your inbox with our daily newsletter!
1) Heatwave! This is the island in the sun: Cloudy today, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 57. West wind between 7 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph. Tonight, a chance of showers, mainly between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. West wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.)
2) The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw: The Melrose Public Library is hosting a special live animal program today for school aged children during February Vacation. Licensed raptor rehabilitator Jim Parks from Wingmasters will be presenting his “Birds of Prey” program at 2:30 p.m.
3) The superintendent just dropped by and said, "They'd planned my little get together:" The Superintendent Search Committee meets today at 3:15 p.m. to continue interviewing applicants.
4) I love maple syrup on pancakes. I love it on pizza. And I take maple syrup and put a little bit in my hair when I've had a rough week. What do you think holds it up, slick? First Congregational Church is holding a pancake supper at 6 p.m. prior to the Ash Wednesday church service.
5) Tomorrow never knows: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Wednesday on Melrose Patch:
- Poll of the Week: We'll run a poll every Wednesday asking you to weigh in with a quick click on the topic du jour. We'll compile the answers into an article next Tuesday.
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose now runs on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. (Giving you more time in advance of Thursday night events.)
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!