1) February stars floating in the dark: Increasing clouds, with a high near 37. North wind 5 to 7 mph becoming southwest. Tonight, mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind around 6 mph.(Forecast from National Weather Service.)
2) Close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo: The Winter Festival scheduled for Feb. 22 at Mount Hood has been canceled, according to Melrose Recreation Director Frank Olivieri. "We have a few external things we are dealing with for the event," he wrote in an email to Melrose Patch. "We are going to try for April vacation instead. Hopefully it will be a better event."
3) And I still haven't found what I'm looking for: The Superintendent Search Committee meets today at 4 p.m. in the superintendent's conference room.
4) Can't wait for election day: The Board of Registrars of Voters meets today at 3 p.m. at the Election Office in City Hall to prepare for the March 6 Presidential Primary. T for the primary is Wednesday, Feb. 15. The Election Office will be open until 8 p.m. that day.
5) Lift your head up, Wednesday: Here's today's lineup of weekly columns that run each Wednesday on Melrose Patch:
- Get Out: Looking for something to do this weekend? Our roundup of stuff to do this weekend in Melrose now runs on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. (Giving you more time in advance of Thursday night events.)
- Poll Results: Every Thursday we run a poll about a timely issue on Melrose Patch, and the following Wednesday, we'll bring you the results and invite you to continue the conversation.
As always, check our calendar for the full slate of events—and add your own!