Two Melrose middle school students have been charged with assault and battery after a fight that allegedly took place on grounds on Friday.
According to the logs, on Friday at 5:03 p.m., a mother called from Children's Hospital in Boston reporting that her son was attacked by three other youths. Two 14-year-olds were issued summonses on the charge of assault and battery.
Melrose Police Lt. Mark DeCroteau said that the 14-year-olds are both students. He declined to provide further information on the alleged fight, whether someone had been taken to the hospital as a result of the fight, or the medical status of the alleged victim, citing the ages of the people involved and medical privacy laws.
"I’m not going to comment on it all because of the juvenile status of it," DeCroteau said. "I can’t comment on anything medical because it’s protected."
Melrose Schools Superintendent Joe Casey said, "We are aware of it and following our disciplinary code to address the matter. We take this very seriously. We are taking appropriate steps to address the matter."