The Top Headlines on Patch's One-Year Anniversary

We look back at the last year as we celebrate one year.

It’s been one heck of a year.

Today marks the one-year anniversary of Wilmington Patch’s launch, and we couldn’t have made it through our first year without the help of our readers who take such great interest in the town of Wilmington.

Through the last 365 days, you’ve taken our Facebook page up to 959 fans, brought our Twitter contingent to 440 and continued to provide news tips and content that help make our site run.

It’s been a busy year in Wilmington, and every time news came to the forefront, Wilmington Patch was there. So we decided to compile 11 of the top headlines from the past year, in honor of our site’s birthday of November 11, 2011. (11/11/11)

So here’s a look at the last year, and as always we want to hear from you. Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments section below what you think the most memorable headline on Wilmington Patch has been.

Thanks for all of your support, and we look forward to serving the community for another year, and for MANY years to come.

December 27, 2010 – What was supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year turned tragic when in the line of duty just one day after Christmas.

Maguire was responding to an armed robbery at Kohl’s when he exchanged gunfire with what authorities later found out was a habitual offender out on parole. “This is a horribly tragic and troubling incident in which a veteran officer was fatally shot in the line of duty,” said District Attorney Gerry Leone.

February 22, 2011 – Whether residents knew , or just knew her as “The walking lady,” she was well-known around Wilmington. But on February 21, Forte never made it home from her walk to the gym as she was , who was allegedly driving under the influence of prescription anti-depressant medications. McNeil’s trial remains in the court systems nearly one year later.

“We were devastated and shocked. She was just here yesterday,” said RMA Fitness co-owner Bob Angelo, who said Forte left the facility around 10 a.m. following a morning class. “Whenever she left here, most of the time she would take off and walk. Everyone that knows (that Forte was the victim of the collision) is in shock because they saw her face every day.”

February 9, 2011 – A sparking electrical panel caused a , and eventually destroyed the property on a cold February Day. “It’s pretty much gone now. Everybody is pretty upset,” said secretary Lisa Santiago. “They know they’re out of work now.”

March 6, 2011 – Many Wilmington High School sports teams have put together stellar seasons in the last year, and Wilmington Patch was there to cover the Wildcats like none other throughout their seasons. Steve Scanlon’s boys hockey team put together an incredible campaign, and brought a .

The Wildcats looked to be cruising with a 3-0 lead, but Masco brought the score to 3-2 with less than one minute to play. That’s when things got interesting. Wilmington allowed the game-tying goal with no time on the clock to force overtime. But Dalton Rolli assured his team a happy ending with an overtime blast that won the game, though the team fell in the next round.

April 23, 2011 – , with spots on the School Committee and Board of Selectmen up for grabs. In the end, Judy O’Connell won her first election as selectman and Mike McCoy was reelected to his seat. Leslee Quick was reelected to the School Committee while Ginny Bonish became a newcomer to the board following her victory.

June 28, 2011 – On his way to celebrate a Bruins Stanley Cup parade, . The Wilmington Middle School student collapsed mysteriously, and remains in a rehabilitation facility where he continues to struggle to regain some normalcy in his life.

“They won’t say much on how much he’ll progress. They said he most likely would be lucky to eat again,” said Mikey’s father, Mike. “I believed otherwise as soon as I walked out of there. I’ve seen improvement every day with him.”

June 6, 2011 – Wilmington students , and Patch brought you coverage like no one else. In addition to our photo gallery, we compiled a .

August 9, 2011 – With summer almost over, Wilmington Middle School students learned the tragic news of the , who died suddenly while camping with his family in New Hampshire.

“Mr. Chern was one of the hardest teachers I have ever had,” said Duffy. “He pushed me to study more and harder to keep up with good grades in his class … He was one of the teachers that students felt really connected with.”

October 14, 2011 – One of the hottest topics in town has been the . It’s a process that will finally be decided in early December when the two votes take place. on both sides of the issue, and it will be interesting to see how the vote comes down.

October 31, 2011 – It was a weekend like none other. A s weekend and for many residents, some for several days. Parents and children alike were upset when they believed Trick or Treating had been cancelled, but thanks to a little digging we discovered the holiday tradition went on as planned.

Thanks again to everyone for a great first year. Let us know your favorite memories from the last year in the comments section below, and keep spreading the word about Wilmington Patch!

Cindy Partridge Murphy January 24, 2012 at 04:51 AM
My son Mikey went into cardiac arrest on June 18th, 2011. (not the 28th) Mikey is still fighting today in a rehab center, and we hope to bring him home soon. The community has overwhelmed us with their support and prayers!!
Matt Schooley January 24, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Thank you for the update, Cindy, and for continuing to follow Patch. It's inspiring to see Mikey and the family continue to put up such a strong fight! As far as the date above, that refers to the date the initial article ran. Thanks again for checking in, and please be sure to stay in touch with any updates as they come. Take care!
Cindy Partridge Murphy June 07, 2012 at 11:04 PM
I just saw this now Matt, sorry for my mistake on the date. I realized it after I submitted my comment, but it was too late. In 11 days, it will be a year since my Mikey went into cardiac arrest, and a year that he still lies in a hospital. Our family so desperately wants Mikey home. After a meeting in March, we had a goal date to bring Mikey home on June 18th, 2012 ( a year to the date of his collapse) Hoping to make that date, a celebration for us this year instead of dwelling on that tragic date last year. It looked promising and we were thrilled to pieces. That dream was crushed, and now we have no clue of what date he'll come home. Even though Mikey's ready to come home, he can't. My heart aches more and more each day wishing he was home with us.
Matt Schooley June 07, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Good hearing from you again, Cindy. I do remember that the one-year anniversary of Mikey's collapse is coming up, and have been planning on getting in touch with you over the next few days to put together a follow up story on what the last year has been like for your family. Thanks for reaching out again, and I'll be in touch soon.
Cindy Partridge Murphy June 08, 2012 at 01:15 AM
Okay Matt, sounds good.....


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »