The history of Melrose-Wakefield Hospital stretches over 100 years. Founded in the late 19th century, it grew to a full-service hospital at the Lebanon Street location by the late 1950s. By 1975 the six-story building, which included an intensive care unit, emergency services, and maternity and radiology departments, was complete.
Melrose-Wakefield Hospital made groundbreaking advancements by performing the first laser surgery in the world and also by offering same-day surgeries. It is currently a leading hospital for cardiac and stroke care and offers a variety of health-care needs including 24-hour emergency and trauma services, inpatient psychiatric treatment, rehabilitation programs, cancer treatment and maternal care. Melrose-Wakefield's partnership with Hallmark Health Associates, a bond that was formed in the late 1990s, provides a network of outpatient services in the surrounding communities.
- Hours: 24 hours, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Handicap Accessible: sidewalk accessibility, elevators
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Insurance accepted: All major insurance companies including MassHealth
- Affiliations: Hallmark Health Services
- Financial assistance: Payment plan
- Parking: Free lot, On-street: free, Paid lot
- Number of beds: 234
- Type: General, Geriatric, Pediatric, Psychiatric, Rehabilitation, Trauma center
- Features: Cafeteria, Chapel, Gift/flower shop
- Departments: Cancer center, Cardiology, Dermatology, Gastroenterology, Intensive care unit, Internal medicine, Neurology, OB/GYN, Orthopedic services, Pathology, Pediatrics, Physical therapy, Psychiatric ward, Radiology, Rehabilitation services, Surgery, Trauma center, Urology
- Visiting hours: Friends and family for general and maternity visits: 2pm - 8pm. Fathers of maternity patients: Any time. Grandparents for maternity patients: Any time during first 24 hours. Inpatient Psychiatry: 5:30pm - 7:30pm. ICU family: Only for five minutes per hour