Roosevelt Elementary School
The newest Melrose elementary school, the new Roosevelt School was completed in 2002; before then, it was the oldest school in the Melrose elementary school system, having been built in 1924. The school, led by Principal Kerry Clery, serves students in kindergarten through fifth grade and, in the summer of 2010, is the home of the Melrose Public School's afterschool program Education Stations' new summer program, Camp K.I.D.S.
Although the Roosevelt School's address is technically on Vinton Street, only a small drop-off and pick-up area exists on Vinton Street since the construction of the new school in 2002. The main entrance to the school and parking lot are on Brunswick Park.
- Hours: Grades 1-5: 8:15am - 2:20pm. Full day Kindergarten: 8:15am - 2:20pm. Half day Kindergarten morning session: 8:30am - 11am. Half day Kindergarten afternoon session: 11:55am - 2:30pm
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Number of students: 388
- Male-to-female ratio: 1:1.02
- Public/Private: Public
- Student-to-teacher ratio: 1:16.1
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 241
- Grade levels: K-5
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Sports facilities
- Extracurricular activities available: The Early Bird program is a childcare program offered 5 days a week from 7:15am until the start of school. Childcare is provided by Stephanie Dembro.