Monday, November 5, 2012
Students at Melrose High School were released at 10 a.m. Monday following reports of a potential gas leak.
Students at Melrose High School have been released for the remainder of the school day Monday, according to a school press statement, following reports of a potential gas leak. "Due to the reports of a gas odor at the high school building today students were relocated to the middle school for precautionary reasons," reads the statement. "After a thorough investigation National Grid and the Melrose Fire Department have determined that it was safe for all students and staff to return to the building. "There is however, some repair work that needs to be done which will require the HVAC system to be shut down. School administrators have decided to dismiss students at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, November 5th since the building will be without heat, …
Students will be sent home at 10 a.m. today.
Students were reportedly evacuated from Melrose High School and will be sent home at 10 a.m. this morning, according to reverse phone calls sent home to parents. While there is no confirmed gas leak, the move is being made as a precautionary measure. More info to come as it becomes available.
Monday, December 5, 2011
The Melrose Fire Department, Melrose Police and National Grid responded to a reported pipe rupture and temporarily closed off the area around Shaw's. The street is now back open.
UPDATE AT 6:15 P.M. Melrose public safety officials closed off Essex Street at Main Street near Shaw's Supermarket earlier this evening due to a gas leak that has since been stopped. The street is now re-open. The Melrose Fire command that first responded to the report of a strong gas odor in the area requested a box alarm at 5:07 p.m. Initial reports were that a pipe in the street ruptured. Melrose Police redirected traffic in the area during the rupture. National Grid arrived on scene for the gas leak and shut the line down at approximately 5:30 p.m., when firefighters reported that they would be clear of the scene in about five minutes.
Tuesday, September 27, 2011
Melrose Police and Fire Department officials have blocked off the streets as they attend to the leak.
UPDATED Tuesday, Sept. 27 at 2:55 p.m. Melrose Police and Fire responded to a high pressure natural gas line that was struck at Lebanon Street and Laurel Street on Tuesday afternoon, which leaked for about a half an hour before being shut off. Initial reports about the ruptured line came in around 1:40 p.m. At 2:23 p.m., at the corner of Lebanon Street and East Foster Street, loud hissing suddenly quieted when the gas was shut off by National Grid. A strong odor of gas continued to fill the air. Melrose Police and Fire officials had a central command station set up at Lebanon and East Foster, and were blocking off access to the surrounding area. Melrose Fire Chief John O'Brien and Police Chief Mike Lyle were busy on the scene. The city …