Thursday, December 6, 2012
Check out the latest Five Things column.
Here are five things to know for Thursday, Dec. 6: 1. Dealing with grief: A Grief in the Holidays workshop is slated for 10 a.m. Thursday at the Milano Senior Center. 2. Open mic night at Ab Fab: Sign-up starts at 7 p.m. Thursday and music starts at 7:30 p.m. at Absolutely Fabulous in Melrose. 3. Dance nearby: The Malden Council on Aging will host line dancing starting at 6:15 p.m. Thursday – don't let the seniors in your life miss out on the urban life-transcending fun. 4. Light show: Take a swing over to see thousands of lights on display at the ZooLights program at Stone Zoo between 5-9 p.m. Thursday. 5. Business reviews: Did you have an enjoyable experience at a Melrose business? If so, search our directory and post a positive review…
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
The art class is slated for 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Milano Senior Center, 201 West Foster St.
Friday, September 14, 2012
Check out the Five Things column for Friday, Sept. 14.
1. Food pantry: The Servant's Heart Food Pantry is open from 10-11:30 a.m. Friday at the Faith Evangelical Church, 200 Franklin St. The food pantry helps more than 200 families in the Melrose region by providing emergency food to people in need. 2. Teen center: The Common Ground Teen Center is open for students in grades 6-9 from 7-10 p.m. Friday at the YMCA, 497 Main St. The cost to attend the band night is $3, and no admittance will be allowed after 9 p.m. All attendees must complete a waiver available on the YMCA website. For more information, call 781-223-7401 or email email@example.com. 3. Get socialized: Check out the Melrose Patch Facebook and Twitter pages for additional content not featured on the website. 4. Need gas? …
Monday, September 10, 2012
The biggest yearly event in the city drew several thousand people on Sunday afternoon.
Warm weather and a plethora of activities drew several thousand people to downtown Melrose for the 32nd annual Victorian Fair Sunday afternoon. Organized, run and in support of the Melrose Chamber of Commerce, nearly 200 vendors and artists' tents lined Main Street and Foster Street. Demonstrantions, raffles, rides, games and a host of other activities kept visitors entertained during the event, which ran from 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Summing up the reaction of many vendors and coordinators, Julie Crowley, owner of Bobby C's, who had a popular both in the middle of Main Street, said: “It's been excellent and the weather held out. There have been some little lulls, but it keeps picking right back up.” Cindy Constantino, who led a raffle for the…
Check out the Five Things column for Monday, Sept. 10.
1. Clear skies: It's expected to be mostly sunny with a high of about 71 during the day, and mostly clear skies with a low of 51 in the evening Monday, according to the National Weather Service's forecast for Melrose. 2. Melrose meetings: Here's a look at the Melrose municipal sessions slated for Monday: 3. Friends of the Fells event: As part of the Fells Arts Month, the Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation is slated to host a Round the Middlesex Fells event at 7 p.m. Monday at the Beebe Estate, 235 West Foster St., according to an event listing. Filmmaker Bob Ghika and Mike Ryan, Fells historian and executive director of the Friends of the Middlesex Fells Reservation, will discuss the driving force between the creation of the Fells …
Thursday, August 30, 2012
Check out the Five Things column for Aug. 30.
1. Farmers' Market open: The Melrose Sally Frank's Farmers' Market is open Thursday from 1-7 p.m. 2. Open mic night at Absolutely Fabulousb: Get signed up at 7 p.m. Thursday and music starts at 7:30 p.m. 3. Get connected: Check out the Melrose Patch Facebook and Twitter pages for additional content not featured on the website. 4. Driving information: Looking for gas prices and traffic updates before leaving Melrose for work? Why not check out our Commute section. 5. Calling all photographers! Do you have some great images captured in Melrose? Upload them to our community photo gallery. Use Melrose Patch to connect with your neighbors:
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Check out the Good Morning Melrose column for Aug. 16.
1. Angry birds: Check out the Masters of Flight: Birds of Prey program at Stone Zoo Wednesday to see several types of birds, including the bald eagle, bateleur eagle, Egyptian vulture, military macaw, spectacled owl and white-necked raven, according to the Zoo New England website. The event is free when you purchase a regular zoo ticket. Showtimes are at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. 2. Get your produce: The Melrose Sally Frank's Farmers' Market is open Thursday from 1-7 p.m. 3. Book group time: The Snack Pack Book Discussion Group meets at 3 p.m. Thursday at Melrose Public Library. 4. Got pipes? Why not participate in the Acoustic Open Mic at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Absolutely Fabulous. 5. Wanted: Melrose photos: Have you captured some great …
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
Check out the latest Good Morning, Melrose column for ways to spend the day in the Melrose area.
1. Hot one: It's going to be mostly sunny, with temperatures peaking at 88 during the day Monday, according to the forecast for Stoneham on the National Weather Service website. At night, it will be partly cloudy, with temperatures dipping to a low of about 69. 2. Feeling creative?: The Milano Senior Center holds art classes from 9:30-10:30 a.m. each Tuesday for $5 per session, all media and skill levels welcome. 3. Let's talk: Melrose Public Library is hosting their Tuesday Morning Book Club at 10:30 a.m. in the Trustees Room, according to the library website. 4. Meeting time: Two government meetings are on tap for Tuesday night, according to the City of Melrose website. Here's a look at who's meeting and the agendas are hyperlinked as …