The Melrose Recreation Department has released releasing its spring/summer programs and events brochure book for 2013.
Melrose Recreation Department
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Mayor Rob Dolan and the Melrose Recreation Department are collaborating on a project to collect sporting equipment and apparel for the nation of Haiti.
Mayor Rob Dolan and the Melrose Recreation Department are collaborating on a project to collect sporting equipment and apparel for the nation of Haiti, according to a city press statement. Melrosian Rebecca Zama is heading up the project, according to the statement. "This is a wonderful opportunity to help the children of Haiti," said Dolan in the statement, "and I want to commend Rebecca for taking the initiative to do this. It is a big undertaking, but I know her efforts will make a difference in many children’s lives." In January 2010, an earthquake killed more than 300,000 people and displaced nearly a million in Haiti. Many of Haiti's schools and facilities were damaged, while residents were left without many basic supplies. "Our goal…
Monday, August 6, 2012
The annual party in the park will be held this Friday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Hundreds of events are posted on Melrose Patch each week, but how often does one pass you by that you wish you hadn't missed? Each week Melrose Patch will give you a quick reminder about an event, an important sign-up, or a looming deadline you won't want to forget. Have fun this Friday, Aug. 10 at the Common from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. with the annual Summer Celebration held by the Melrose Recreation Department. There will be bounce houses, games, activities, face painting, prizes and a lot of fun surprises. Don't miss out on the excitement and help celebrate the last few days of summer. ----------------------- Do you know of an important upcoming deadline? Share it in the comments below and we’ll consider including it in our next "Last Chance." …
Friday, August 3, 2012
Editor's last day; Pizza Party Fridays; hike the Fells on Saturday.
1) It's time to say goodbye, block out the sun and pack up the sky: Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 4 p.m. Patchy fog before 7 a.m. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a high near 92. Southwest wind 6 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Tonight, scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9 p.m. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 71. Southwest wind 5 to 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.) 2) This is the end, my only friend, the end: It's my last day as editor of Melrose Patch. Remember: starting Monday, emails regarding Melrose Patch should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Chris Caesar, Malden Patch editor, and Mark Ouellette, Stoneham Patch editor, will…
Thursday, August 2, 2012
Mayor's Night Out; The Prince and the Pauper; open mic at Ab Fab.
1) Sunshowers that fall on my troubles: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 1 p.m. Patchy fog before 8 a.m. Otherwise, cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 87. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 9 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 20 percent. Tonight, partly cloudy, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 6 to 8 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.) 2) Belay that ... do something else: A reminder that the Mayor's Night Out originally scheduled for tonight has been rescheduled to next week on Thursday, Aug. 9. 3) This one he got a princely racket: "The Prince and the Pauper" is a lively musical adventure and WRYT's production kicks off tonight at 7:30 p.m. at Melrose …
Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Rabbit rabbit. Family movie night at Memorial Hall; artist talk at the Milano Center; Crafty Wednesdays at the Melrose Public Library.
1) Beneath the clouds of what was everything: A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 3 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Patchy fog before 9 a.m. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 84. Northwest wind around 9 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. Tonight, a chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 10 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. South wind 5 to 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40 percent. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.) 2) For the movies: Have a relaxing evening of fun with a great G-rated movie in Memorial Hall tonight at 6 p.m. Families are encouraged to bring their own blankets so…
Friday, July 27, 2012
Pizza Party Friday at Volunteer Park (formerly Warren Street Park) has been canceled due to expected inclement weather.
The Pizza Party Friday event at Volunteer Park (formerly Warren Street Park) scheduled for Friday, July 27 has been canceled due to expected inclement weather today, the Melrose Recreation Department said in a press release. The next Pizza Party Friday event will be on Friday, Aug. 3 at Lincoln Park. Any questions can be directed to the Recreation Department at email@example.com or by phone at 781-979-4179.
Rainy day; pizza party at Volunteer Park; summer daytrip getaways; where's the worst speeding spot in Melrose?
1) Here comes the flood: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with gusty winds and heavy rain. Cloudy with a high near 81. Northwest wind around 8 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 50 percent. Tonight, continued chance of showers and thunderstorms and some storms could be severe. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. East wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.) 2) Gotta get down on Friday: It's Pizza Party Friday at Volunteer Park today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Starting at noon, the Recreation Department will be serving up dollar slices of pizza and cold drinks (also a buck). There will also be fun free events and activities at the …
Friday, July 20, 2012
The Playstation Adrian Gonzalez Baseball clinic brought kids together with the Red Sox star on Fred Green Field Thursday morning.
Around 200 kids ages 6-14 had the opportunity Thursday morning at Fred Green Field to learn how to play the national pastime from one of the game's greats—Boston Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Watch the video above to hear from the Sox slugger and for sights and sounds from the clinic. The players broke out into different stations to learn baseball fundamentals from area coaches, while Gonzalez went from station to station helping with instruction and answering any questions the kids had. The camp, run by ProCamps, Inc., was held in conjunction with the Melrose Recreation Department and sponsored by Coca-Cola Live Positively, Gargoyles Eyewear and RCN.
Pizza party at Hesseltine Park; Family Fitness Friday with MBC; Common Ground Teen Center open tonight.
1) As I shout it to the blue summer sky: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Northeast wind 7 to 9 mph. Tonight, partly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southeast wind 5 to 7 mph. (Forecast by the National Weather Service.) 2) And I mean no anchovies. You put anchovies on this thing and you're in big trouble, OK? Sorry Mikey, I actually like anchovies. It's Pizza Party Friday at Hesseltine Park today from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Starting at noon, the Recreation Department will be serving up dollar slices of pizza and cold drinks (also a buck). There will also be fun free events and activities at the park, along with a supervised bounce house. 3) We can work it out: Bring your kids 5 and up down to Fred Green Field tonight at 7 p.m. for Family …